Tuesday, October 9, 2007

pipe dreams

So if you read my other blog it talks about the poem reading that happened on saturday, well Korey my brother thinks it was really good and I don't know what to really do with what he is putting out there for me. He has offered to record me and make me a myspace page with some of my poems on it. It sounds great but I don't want people to think that I am trying to become some successful poet (it would be cool) but it is not my dream. I don't feel like I am good enough to make it in that industry especially when Bradley Hathaway has done basically everything I am about to do. I am not Bradley Hathaway and I am not trying to be. I enjoy reading my poetry to open ears and the more people know about me the more people I can read to. I don't have dreams of becoming this amazing poet with a book and a cd, I am just a kid trying to entertain myself and do something I enjoy. I know that many people will view my plans as a entreprenurial effort to become a great and famous person, that is not my intention. I am not looking for glory or to even make something out of my writings. I am just doing something I enjoy and I am not trying to steal anyone's thunder or put the lime light on me. I know many people will see it that way but hopefully the people that matter and care about me will still see me as I am and not as some get rich quick poetry loser trying to copy something that has already been done.
thank you again to everyone who listened to my poetry I enjoyed it and thank you for anyone willing to give me advice on this subject aka sara and mitch.

5 comments:

Sara Triana said...

I think it's a fun idea, but your gut instinct to not do it seems dead on. I wouldn't record, yet.

Mitch M said...

Anything to expand your current interest of dabbling in poetry is a good thing. As Sara hinted, perhaps the publishing and record deal would be best kept at bay.

Just continue to write your poetry and share it with friends and listeners at open mic's. The other stuff could come later if need be.

Mitch M said...

Josh,

Are you alive? Are you coming to the special storytelling night on Thursday?

Sara Triana said...

come back into our lives, josh!

molly fantastic said...

write again. mas.