Friday, August 31, 2007

my first experience with a poetry night

Yesterday was a very eventful night compared to the others I have had in Denton/Dallas.
I went to dinner with an old friend...you might know her as june wild or sara elizabeth triana.
I made my way to Dallas with little complication, thank goodness.
I then ventured to Sara's apartment where I met her three other roommates, actually I am quite acquainted with her best friend Sarah. I met an Alyssa, she was a very interesting character full of energy and life. Then I met the other Alyssa more of a quiet and yet hyper young lady, she was very funny just her little comments on what people said it just made me laugh. Also I saw a friend from church camp named Austin Gilly, he also goes to DBU, he is probably the best camp rec team companion I could have asked for. Lastly but not least(leastly?) Mitch was there, and I was just glad he was there because he laughed so much. He has this classic laugh that just puts me in a better mood.
I enjoyed sitting down and having a delicious meal with all of these people, I had fun watching how they reacted with each other. Afterward I followed Sara to Albertson's so she could get some finger food for the wine and poetry party. When I say "finger food" I mean cheese, some different cheese, some other cheese, two loaves of bread, two bags of cookies, and a 2 liter bottle of Dr. Pepper(for me). Then we journeyed to Mitch's house. When we got to Mitch's house, he said he needed to go get the wine so I accompanied him, hoping to learn something new that Mitch would teach me. I learned that white wine goes great with a meal especially with chicken. I then learned that if you are a wine drinker that you know you have truly made it in life when you buy a bottle of wine and it costs more than fifteen dollars...THE FIFTEEN DOLLAR THRESHOLD! Thats really what I picked up from the trip there and back. When we arrived back at the apartment, Sara and Mitch got ready for their guests to arrive, I had no idea what to do so I just bugged Mitch by asking him questions about everything.(sorry) What bothered me the most while waiting for these guests was that niether Mitch nor Sara told me what these other people were like. They told me names and names only which made me very uneasy. The first guest to arrive was Oscar, a tall slender young man with black leather boots, a striped shirt, a black leather vest, and a scarf/bandana around his neck, oh yeah and he had a ponytail...not a white trash one a clean nice looking one. As I listened to Oscar I first learned his love for women, not just women of one shape, size, or race, no his love for women in general. He loved women but only to a certain extent, "I love women, until I get to know them, then I hate them."-Oscar. I found out from Sara that he is from Honduras and is a very romantic and very very very smart man(like mitch smart). Oscar is not a Christian but he probably knows more about the Christian faith than many believers out there, he might no more than me I'm not sure. As we made small talk, two more of the guests showed up, James and his friend Maggie. James had a fo-hawk and a long strand of hair behind his ear that immediatly took your eyes off him and on it. Maggie had a sweet voice and was a very nice person from what I could tell from. Sara, Mitch, and Oscar all read poetry from different authors and I enjoyed it very much. The way the put the passion into these other peoples poems making them as if they had written them, it was incredible. I never could grasp many meanings to poems when my english teacher read them to me, but as these three people read to me I listened and soaked in the words they spoke and I loved every second of it. The way the poems made me think, everytime a poem was read I went into this world picturing the authors poem, why they wrote it, what happened to them that would make them think of such majestic words to describe how they feel. I loved how different all of these people were and how they all interacted with me and one another almost as to create a world different than the one we live in. The things I learned from all of these people was so amazing. One more experience happened to me that is more comical than the rest of this story; Blake, Mitch's best friend, was going to come but he was going to be late, as the night progressed it came time that he showed up. When Mitch told me Blake was his best friend I pictured a man with short hair and ressembled Mitch. When Blake knocked on the door I was closest to the door, so I opened it. Blake is not anywhere near Mitch's size! Blake is about 6 feet tall from what I'm guessing and well he is just a big guy, he isn't fat he is...he is Ben sized but he is really tall as well. My eyes when I gazed upon this giant were in awe, the beast of a man shook my hand and with his deep voice said "hi, I'm Blake"

thats all of my story, we read poems and it was great and I thank both Sara and Mitch for being so nice to me and allowing me to come and enjoy that experience, hopefully they will let me come again.

1 comment:

Sara Triana said...

hey! mitch and i just read this together (of course). we loved it! i laughed a lot (at all the funny parts). I am thrilled that you enjoyed yourself, you are welcome to attend forever!